Featured Post

The Welcome to Rota Book

It has been 2 years since the Welcome to Rota paperback book was first published, and I am so proud to announce that it has received nothing...

Friday, September 14, 2012

Learning to drive

My mom always said that you should learn something new everyday. But when you move to a new country, the learning curve is tremendous. You learn a ton of new things each day. Of course we are learning a lot just by looking at menus, sampling food, walking around, etc. But today I am proud to announce that I am learning something BIG: how to drive a stick shift vehicle! I only drove automatic before, but our rental car is stick shift, and that's all we are going to have for the next few weeks. Dan only works 3 miles from our house, so he could run to work, but if I want to go anywhere I can either learn to drive or take all 3 kids on a bicycle with me. So... driving sounds like a good idea. Dan let me practice with the rental car, and it actually went very well, after the first few choppy circles around the block. I drove from base to our new house and didn't stall once. :-) We are looking to buy a new car for Dan while we are here. He would use it for work, but it would also be our good gas mileage car for weekend trips, so I should know how to drive it, and most options are stick shift here. So I will keep practicing until I feel comfortable enough to drive in town, with pedestrians walking into the street, people parking in the middle of the road, traffic circles every hundred feet, and unexpected 1-way streets. Oh, and with 3 kids sitting side by side in the back seat. Yeah, might take a little more practice for that to be a safe scenario! But I am glad that after years of Dan promising me driving lessons we finally got around to it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment