Featured Post

The Welcome to Rota Book

It has been 2 years since the Welcome to Rota paperback book was first published, and I am so proud to announce that it has received nothing...

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Danny's 1st day of school

Danny just turned 3, so now he is eligible to attend the same Spanish Immersion class that Sophie attends. The 3-5 year olds meet in the same classroom and do all their activities together, so the kids will be together all day. Danny has been coming with us to drop her off ad pick her up for 2 months now, so he is familiar with the classroom, and pretty excited about staying at school with her. He was so cute with his little backpack. But when I asked him to hold up 3 fingers and show me how old he was, well, he held up all 10! :-)

 They went into the classroom together, , and Danny immediately started taking off his jacket and settling in. He went right to Sophie's cubby and put his things inside! Sophie was proud to tell everyone that it was Danny's first day, and she wanted to introduce him to all her friends.

The children always start the day by washing their hands, and then sitting down to write their name. Danny had seen Sophie do that every morning while I signed her in, so he was very quick to wash his hands and then settle down at the table to write. Sophia has gotten very good at writing her name, and can write it legibly even without guidelines. Danny of course has barely held a pencil before. But they let all the kids do the activities at their own pace and skill level, so of course they don't expect as much from the 3-year-olds. It was wonderful to see them both sitting at the same table learning together and sharing the same friends. 

The teacher showed Danny the correct way to hold a pencil, and then gave him his name to trace. I think he only traced the first letter before he announced "I'm done!" and got up to go play. At the end of the day, he was thrilled to see me and came running up, telling me all about the painting project they did. I think lunch is his favorite part of the day. :-) He is a smart little boy, and he is going to do great in school. He will probably pick up the Spanish more slowly than Sophia, but at least he will be exposed to it, so if we want to send him to Spanish school next year he will be able to adjust.
 Of course with both of them in school, that means I just have Alex all morning. And since he still takes a morning nap, it was a quiet and glorious morning! We went to the bank, had a Christmas party planning meeting at Daddy's work, came home and cleaned, did laundry, got dinner in the crockpot, and made lunch! That left the afternoon naptime period free for me to workout! I am really looking forward to having more free time, and being able to go running in the mornings with just Alex. It will also be amazing to go to the grocery store with just 1 child! I guess I haven't had to take care of just 1 child at a time for 3 years now (since Danny was born), so this feels like a whole new lifestyle. In some ways, I will miss the Mommy-Danny time we had in the mornings, playing Candy Land and reading books... but I will also admit that sometimes he wasn't interested in the fun things I suggested and only wanted to watch movies. And of course many times I was just dragging him around to run errands and go to the doctor. So, while I think he was enjoying our time together and his occasional playdates, I know school will be great for his development, and that he will do so much with his teachers and classmates that I wouldn't do with him. So this is the beginning of Danny's illustrious educational career!

No comments:

Post a Comment