Featured Post

The Welcome to Rota Book

It has been 2 years since the Welcome to Rota paperback book was first published, and I am so proud to announce that it has received nothing...

Friday, November 30, 2012

Thankfulness

As we leave the month of November, and begin the season of Advent, it is worthwhile to take a few moments to contemplate the numerous blessings we have been given. The events of the last few months--moving overseas, living without our car and household goods, and Dan taking his first 'business trip' have really helped me appreciate what we have. So even though I didn't do the 1-a-day blessing list that was so popular on Facebook, here is my list of 30 things I thank God for:

1. My husband: he is truly amazing, and we are blessed to have each other

2. Our children: all 3 of them are amazing. Sure, frustrating at times, but at the end of the day (when they're sleeping!) I am overwhelmed with love for them and all the cuteness and laughter they bring us

3. God's unfailing love: gets me through every day, and gives me a purpose greater than anything

4. Our extended families: we love them and miss them so much, but are grateful for how well we all get along, and how supportive they are

5. New friends and neighbors in Spain: They have helped me with the smallest things like borrowing a bit of cinnamon, and the biggest things, like helping me find my way around and get things fixed. I look forward to several years of good times and fun memories with some truly wonderful people here.

6. Our new casa: It's more than we hoped for, and so wonderful to be safely settled on base, with so many conveniences (like heat and ac!) available.

7. Paying renters in our old casa: Having extra income has been a huge weight off our shoulders during this period of transition. So far, no problems with the old house!

8. Our country and American freedoms: when you come to another country, even a civilized Western one, you realize how much you took for granted in the US.

9. The right to vote: Even if my choices didn't win, just having that ability--as a woman--is something not available in many other parts of the world.

10. Our military life: It's challenging, yes. But it has taught me to treasure EVERY SINGLE day we have together as a family. No matter what we do, we always have fun together. And I have met some of the most amazingly supportive spouses.

11. Chocolate: I must confess, no list would be complete without it.

12. Wine: soothes all challenges, binds together all friends. :-)

13. Caffeine: specifically Diet Coke. It makes me a better Mom. :-)

14. My minivan: After living a month without it, I am SO grateful to be a 2-car family, and to have the flexibility to go wherever I want, whenever I need to, with all the kids and cargo.

15. all our 'stuff' that makes our house a home: while it was refreshing to live simply for a month, we do like our material posessions.

16. Our general good health: My whole family is generally healthy, which I always forget to appreciate until someone gets a minor cold and it throws everything off balance!

17. Books-- real ones, audio ones, e-copies: I love to read.

18. Education: I may not be using my degrees professionally right now, but the experience I gained during years of study has given me a unique opportunity to share my world view with my children. It amazes me the questions they ask every day, and I am thankful to have the tools to answer them!

19. The Church: Thank You God for one universal Catholic church! How refreshing it is to find the same religion here in another country, and to be able to celebrate all their rich traditions.

20. The Saints: So many great celebrations this month, but I love the model and example of the Saints.

21. Beautiful Mediterranean weather: we are spoiled here. Some people miss an actual Fall and snowy winter, but I am loving it.

22.  Internet: Letting me stay in touch with family and friends around the world, and find answers to almost any situation a Mom can encounter!

23. Chore lists and sticker rewards: This has been a very effective tool for Sophia. When she wants to, she can be a GREAT helper around the house, and has really grown a lot this month.

24. Sunsets: Especially watching them over the Atlantic. I still find that amazing, and love that we are often walking or at the park during sunset here.

25.  Living in the 21st century: I liked studying the Medieval period, enjoy Shakespearean writing, and love Baroque architecture. But... I'm glad I don't live in any of those times! I like my modern conveniences and freedoms available to a woman now, thank you very much!

26. Vonage and Skype: Letting us keep in touch with family and friends as if we were not across the sea...

27. Christmas music, lights, candles, and traditions-- it's the most wonderful time of the year, and always makes me smile. :-)

28. Random acts of kindness: it makes my day when someone drops by to share baked goods or dinner with us. I look forward to teaching my children about outreach during Advent.

29. Baking: I have always loved this, but now that my kids are old enough to 'help' it is always a fun activity for us to share.

30. Family trips: whether we go to the next town over, or out of the country, I am thankful for our opportunities to travel, and look forward to doing lots of exploring in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment