Featured Post

The Welcome to Rota Book

It has been 2 years since the Welcome to Rota paperback book was first published, and I am so proud to announce that it has received nothing...

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Reverse Culture Shock

Ways Spain and America are very different. ..

Now that we have been back in the States for a few weeks  (for the first time in 3 years!), we have had some time to adjust. Mostly it is going well and we are happy to be back. But there have been some moments of culture shock too. Here are some things we had to get used to, that I'm sure affect most Americans returning from overseas :

- I'm a tourist in my home town. We haven't been here for 3 years, and may not be back for another 3. So it is a busy trip cramming in family time, local excursions, and lots of crabs (the Maryland food specialty ).

- Toilet handles aren't on the top! And many public restrooms are automated! This is mind boggling to my kids.

- America is so much greener than Southern Spain.  As an East Coast girl, I didn't realize how much I missed deciduous trees. We keep feeling like we are in Ireland.

- Technology has changed a lot in 3 years! We used basic cell phones in Spain,  but here we were told that a 'basic phone ' means no data abilities. So even a normal model costs  $500, or $20 per month. Phone bill just went way up. We also purchased a new minivan. Since our previous van was 10 years old, we are amazed by all the technology and features available. Our car reads me my text messages while I drive!

- Text messages are free in the States, and almost everyone has a smart phone, so it is a much more effective way to communicate than it was in Spain. No more WhatsApp messages.

- Sunset is so much earlier!  We were hardly ever outside after dark in Spain,  but here we have been catching fireflies, making smores over fires, and getting mosquito bites. Remember all those things?

- The weather here includes clouds and rain during the summer,  which makes the sun generally less intense. I had forgotten about summer thunderstorms. In Spain I had to wear sunglasses every day!

- We have to drive everywhere. The East Coast is full of suburban sprawl, but there are no city centers with pedestrian areas, produce markets, and ice cream shops. We will miss walking around and exploring.

- Drive thrus: America loves them. Of course Spain had fast food drive thrus, but I literally went through 1 in the 3 years we lived there. It wasn't part of our lifestyle, and I had trouble being understood. Here there is drive through banking, dry cleaners, car washes, etc. It certainly makes errands easier with children.

- So many American flags everywhere! We weren't allowed to fly them on base in Spain. I wonder if my heart will always race a little each time I see the Stars and Stripes?

- A lot of things are more expensive. Eating out, groceries, and appliances seem more expensive. But clothes and shoes seem to be generally cheaper. Maybe I just know where to shop.

- Speaking of shopping : big stores,  big parking lots, so much selection! I didn't do much shopping in Spain because parking and entering stores with 4 kids was challenging. Here it is much easier to find things.

- Grocery stores are overwhelming in America too, but for different reasons. So many choices!  A whole aisle for ice cream!  So many flavors of Oreos! Such enormous sizes of snack food packages! Also, the cuts of chicken and pork here are huge! 

- Restaurants in America have delicious food,  enormous portions,  free refills, and attentive service. And they are open at all the right times! But I will miss eating outside so often. And I am now a terrible tipper. I have to remember to add more! Also, I quickly gained 5 pounds while on vacation.  :-(

- It's exciting to understand small talk all around you. For 3 years, I constantly felt like people were talking about me . (They weren't, I just couldn't understand them. ) I feel so happy to exchange pleasantries with cashiers without stumbling over words or repeating myself.

- Americans form lines and wait for turns. It's crazy. I elbowed my way past some people Spanish style and got some surprised looks. Oops! But on a positive note, my kids got to ride on the rides at a fair without being pushed over.

- Houses and construction are so different!  So much wooden porches and wooden decks! I live in an area with lots of cute 'historic' Victorian and Colonial  style homes. Everything in Spain is much older, and with such a difference in style, yet still beautiful. Carpets and wood floors are pretty neat, though! I will not miss tile.

- It's nice that everything is open in the afternoon and on Sundays. It certainly makes it easier to get things done. But I like Sunday as family day anyway.

- Driving is easier,  obviously. It is also convenient how rest stops, restaurants, and gas are all clearly marked on the highway exits. Makes road trips much easier. You know what I miss, though--roundabouts!  So many places where they would be useful!

- Actually, everything is easier. Americans are all about convenience, and knowing the language means much less intimidation and headaches at the end of the day.

So there you have it. So many things are different. Not better or worse, just different. There is a lot we will miss, but a lot we are enjoying, too. Living overseas makes you more well-rounded and able to handle new situations. The price is that we may always be outsiders looking in at our own culture. I think that's a price we are willing to pay for the adventure of a lifetime in Southern Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment