Featured Post

The Welcome to Rota Book

It has been 2 years since the Welcome to Rota paperback book was first published, and I am so proud to announce that it has received nothing...

Sunday, January 20, 2013

My adventures finding a healthy weight

January is the time people usually decide to lose a few pounds, get more active, try a new diet, whatever. I can actually say for one of the first times in my life that I am happy with where I am. Sure, I gained a few pounds over Christmas, and I intend to work them off in the coming weeks. But I think this year, the difference is that I KNOW that they are going to come off, and I am confident that I already have a healthy lifestyle. But it wasn't always so, and I have worked hard to get here.
I would summarize, but I think I need to start back in high school. I know now that puberty makes your body instantly gain up to 20 pounds. But around 7th grade, I suddenly went from girls size 14 to women's size 6, and that was traumatic to me. I just saw fat. So, like many teenage girls, I decided not to eat. I never threw up, i just skipped meals, and lived on pretzels, raisins, and orange juice. I remember going through some field hockey practices where I was almost blacking out. My goal weight at the time was 110, although I don't think I ever made it.
By college, I had come to a healthier relationship with food. I vowed never again to go on any crazy diets. Instead, I took the opposite approach: don't weigh yourself, and don't worry about gaining a few pounds here and there. I attempted to work out and eat healthy, but that is pretty challenging when you cook for yourself in the dorms and have a heavy academic schedule that leaves little time for working out. By senior year I was a size 12 and probably weighed 150 pounds. (I'm on the far right).

After college I worked with teens at a church Youth Ministry program for 3 years. I loved the job, but the unusual hours, and ridiculous amounts of pizza and snacks always available were not friendly to my figure. I had to start buying size 14 clothes, and weighed over 170 pounds. I finally realized I needed to make some changes when I saw myself in some of the kids' pictures from church events. How had I gotten so huge??? (I'm on far right).

So I made some changes. Since I lived alone and cooked for myself, I got some new cookbooks and learned how to make soups, prepare healthy snacks, and avoid high calorie foods. I also joined the local YMCA and spent my mornings there. I tried out some aerobics classes, learned how to use the weight circuit equipment, and enjoyed swimming and cycling. I was motivated by the fact that I was getting married that year, but I soon started feeling more energetic, more confident, and pleased with my progress. By my wedding day, I had lost 25 pounds, and was my healthiest in years.

Then I got pregnant with our Honeymoon baby. I continued to use the treadmill when I could during the pregnancy, but the nutritional counselor at the OBGYN told me that I was "obese" and needed to eat controlled portions of carbs and proteins. I tried documenting everything I ate, but I got fatigued and dizzy, and my husband thought I was being ridiculously hard on myself. So I gained 25 pounds during the pregnancy. I lost all of it within 3 months, but found that the same number on the scale post-baby did not equal the same size and body shape. I was not ready to say that I was a mom and could never get smaller... but I was also working full-time, and nursing the baby, so I knew there wouldn't be much time to exercise, and I didn't want to do any drastic diets that would affect the milk supply.

Thankfully, I discovered Weight Watchers. As far as I know, it is the only "diet" plan that accounts for breastfeeding, and allows additional calorie consumption for moms who are nursing full-time or part-time. I found it to be a very healthy and balanced. I learned about every aspect of a heathy lifestyle: portion sizes, balancing fruits and veggies with carbs, dairy, and protein, cooking lighter, tastier, and more creative meals, making exercise a part of my daily routine, resisting sweet cravings, and enjoying occasional controlled indulgences. With Weight Watchers, I achieved my lowest adult weight: 125 pounds. Twice. (I'm on far left!)

Each time, within a month, I found out I was pregnant again. After each pregnancy, I successfully used Weight Watchers through the stages of breastfeeding to stay healthy and lose weight. Now, 17 months after the birth of my 3rd child, I weigh less than I did on my wedding day, and I am a size 4! I still have a few pounds to go, but I know what it takes to shop for and eat healthy meals, I have a variety of physical exercises I enjoy, and my family shares my healthy lifestyle. I know now how much more energetic and positive I feel when I am eating right, and I enjoy watching my kids learn about food and exercise by watching my (mostly) good example as we explore Spain.

Why did I need to write all this? Because for anyone who wants to get to know me, I hope you will understand why food and exercise are so important to me. People who have seen me riding my bike pulling 3 children have asked how I do it. The more important question, I think, is why. Why work so hard? Because it is important to me, and my family. I don't consider myself a crazy workout freak-- I don't do cross fit or run in competitive races. And I am relaxed enough to eat meals at restaurants or in other people's houses without counting calories or regretting every bite! But I know now how it feels to have a size 4 body, and I love it. I am NOT going back to the enormous shape I was before, and I will never again let life get "too busy" for me to take care of my own health. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle. A lifestyle that is healthy makes us all happier. So I do it for myself, for the confidence and the cute clothes and the great feelings... but I also do it for my family so I can be active with my kids and model healthy eating and activity for them. Hopefully, they will not struggle with their weight the way I used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment