Featured Post

The Welcome to Rota Book

It has been 2 years since the Welcome to Rota paperback book was first published, and I am so proud to announce that it has received nothing...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How to make Easter Resurrection rolls

Hello strangers. I know my blog has not been very interesting lately. During Lent I tried to focus on fewer electronic things, and more quality time with my family. So I have over a month of pictures that will be turned into blog posts soon. But I wanted to share this as soon as possible because it is a great Easter activity, and Easter is this Sunday!


Resurrection Rolls are an easy activity that is perfect for sharing the Easter story with young children. My children (ages 4, 3, and 1) go to church with us every week, so they are starting to learn some of the basics of our faith. However, they still ask all kinds of interesting questions about Easter, and no matter how often I remind them that it is for celebrating Jesus, they continually respond that they can't wait to get chicks (marshmallow Peeps). So I knew this activity would be something we would all enjoy.

To make Resurrection rolls, you only need:
tube of Pillsbury crescent rolls
large marshmallows (1 per roll)
melted butter (I used 1 Tbls. for 16 rolls)
cinnamon (I used 1-2 teaspoons)
book with the Easter Story

 Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees, and reading the 1st part of the Easter story to your children. It can be from a children's Bible, or a condensed version from the Holy Bible. I found that my children pay much more attention when I read from a book rather than when I just talk and tell them a story. We read about Jesus's trial, crucifixion, and burial.



For each roll, take 1 marshmallow (which represents Jesus in His purity and innocence from sin) and roll it in melted butter, then cinnamon. These represent the embalming oil and spices used for the burial.

 Then wrap the spiced marshmallow in a triangle of crescent roll dough, making sure to seal all the edges. This represents the tomb, with the stone sealing the entrance. Once they were all wrapped, the kids said goodbye, just as Jesus's friends said farewell to Him, and we put them in the oven: 350 degrees for 10 minutes.


While they baked, we read the second part of the Easter story: the account of Sunday morning. I told the children this was the part with the surprise. Jesus was not in the tomb because He had risen from the dead! When the rolls came out of the oven, they were golden, and still had the same shape of the tomb. But the marshmallows had melted into sugar, so when the rolls are cracked open, they reveal... an empty tomb! Jesus has risen!


These are delicious as an afternoon snack, but they would also be good for breakfast, since they taste like cinnamon rolls. You could still see some white marshmallow bits oozing out of the corners of some of our rolls, but the kids told me those were the angels in the tomb, haha. They enjoyed making and eating them, and I hope you will enjoy them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment